that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com> writes:
> has anybody gotten hands on intel 6core gulftown with two threads per
> core? ... there is reference that some chips might be sold with only
> four cores enabled (lower price?).
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulftown_%28microprocessor%29
>
> what is the chance of beating 1000MIPS??

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#68 Entry point for a Mainframe?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#70 Entry point for a Mainframe?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#71 Entry point for a Mainframe?

possibly $5/370-mip???

vendors have been sorting chips ... chips failing higher speed test,
being classed at lower rate for lower price.

however, there seems to be some additional sorting ... apparently
oriented towards overclocking & gaming marketing ... that pushes higher
rates ... and are sold at premium price. brand names are starting to
offer boxes with such chips ... when it use to be just niche, offbrand
players.

some of the reduced core chips aren't necessarily just pricing ...
sometimes it may be chip defects that would ordinarily have the whole
chip going to trashbin ... localized defects may be core specific
... rest of the chip still being useable.

other recent chip/foundary posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#62 z9 / z10 instruction speed(s)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#66 z9 / z10 instruction speed(s)

late 70s & early 80s, single chip processors were starting to appear
that drastically reduced cost of building computer systems ... and saw
lots of vendors starting to move into the market. However, the cost of
producing proprietary operating system hadn't come done ...  so overall
costs weren't reduced that much and therefor the price that the system
could be offered to customers wouldn't come down.

I've frequently commented those economics significantly contributed to
the move to unix offerings ... vendors could ship unix on their platform
for enormously lower cost (similar to the cost reduction offered by
single chip processors) compared to every vendor doing their own
proprietary operating system from scratch.

A similar argument was used in the IBM/ATT effort moving higher level
pieces of UNIX to stippred down TSS/370 base (the cost of adding
mainframe ras, erep, device support, etc ... being several times larger
than plain unix port). reference in this recent post mentioning adtech
conference i did (that including presentations on both the unix/ssup
activity as well as running cms applications on mvs):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#17 Senior Java Developer vs. MVS Systems
Programmer (warning: Conley rant)

conference was also somewhat the origins for the VM/XB (ZM) effort (also
mentioned in the above). the effort was then declared strategic,
hundreds of people writting specs, and then collapsed under its own
weight (somewhat a mini-FS). The strategic scenario was doing
microkernel (somewhat akin to tss/370 ssup effort for ATT/unix) that had
(at least) all the mainframe ras, erep and device support ... that could
be used as common base for all the company's operating system offerings
(the costs to the company in this area was essentially fully replicated
for every operating system offering).

in later 80s, having aix/370 (project that ported UCLA's Locus
unix-clone to both 370 & 386) run under vm370 was aix/370 being able to
rely on vm370 RAS (cost of adding that RAS directly to aix/370 was many
times larger than the simple port of locus to 370).

In recent years, increasing amounts of RAS is moving into intelligent
hardware ... somewhat mitigating the duplication of effort in the
operating systems.

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970