> __thought__ (and was wrong) that I was pointing out where the CPUID might not
> be the real one.
>I assumed the OP wanted the CPC's "Real CPU Id" as opposed to one set, under
>z/VM, to some other value via the CP SET CPUID command.
>I.e. I was trying to point out a "hole".

I wasn't really criticising, and if I came across that way, I appologise.

But, even under PR/SM there are differing serial numbers per LPAR.

The first two (of 7) are based on the LPAR and the LP.
The last 5 match the last 5 of the physical serial number.

Most vendors followed IBM's recommendation, many years ago, to license based on
just the last 5.

I only know of one ISV, based in Islandia New York, that made you install
multiple keys on multiple CPC's, based on all logical serial numbers, thus
making admin a real pain.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!