On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 16:27:01 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>I remembered half of the below. I tried the "some lower case characters"
>part but forgot the ASIS.
>
>Geez! Why isn't ASIS enough? Maybe IBM should add another option,
>REALLYTRULYASIS.

Because ASIS is obeyed by the TSO TMP; the (unwanted?) case
conversion is done by C Runtime Initiation.

But TSO should have a REALLYTRULYASIS, as in PROFILE REALLYTRULYASIS,
which would disable all case conversion, in all commands and in
the content of DSN(*).  I'm a big boy; I can find the shift key
when I need it.

I hate the circumventions necessitated by fradulent case-insensitivity.
If there were true case insensitivity, there would be no motive
to convert input to upper (or lower) case, possibly overriding the
programmer's intent.

-- gil