I just resolved this with IBM, and thought I'd pass it along to anyone else
that
might be vunerable.

I'm running z/OS 1.10, although APARs apply to 1.9 and up.  I attempted to
Extend a zFS beyond the available space on the volume.  Instead of failing,
the extend appeared to work.  The total space available in zFS exceeded the
VSAM HI-USED-RBA.  Files were able to be "added" to the zFS, although there
was in fact no space available.  The files merely disappeared.  Needless to
say, the zFS was trashed, and any subsequent attempt to mount it failed.

At IBM's direction, I APPLYed the fixing PTFs for OA29303 and OA30026.
These PTFs prevented the problem from reoccuring.

OA29303 involves extending VSAM datasets using media manager.  This is
probably the one that burned me - it is NOT flagged HIPER.  OA30026 applies
to VSAM datasets greater than 4GB, and is HIPER.