John McKown wrote:
Even a small z10 is
more expensive than a "Enterprise server" class Intel machine. And many
of the budget people compare them exactly that way. One for one.

Budget people that are too lazy to do valid 'apples to apples' platform cost comparisons are doing their businesses a tremendous disservice. One of the sessions that impressed me at SHARE in Seattle was:

<Session Description>
Tuesday March 16, 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Pacific
Marlin Maddy, IBM Corporation
"System z: Building the Business Case for System z"

Session Abstract:
This session focuses on the multiple complexities in building a valid business case to compare mainframe workloads to distributed workloads. We will focus on workload selection and how to be sure you are using all the appropriate components to build a valid 'apples to apples' comparison. Components to be discussed are hardware, software licenses and maintenance, people, energy and data center efficiency, virtualization, networking and disaster recovery.
</Session Description>

This session was webcast as part of the new SHARE Online offering...

http://www.share.org/Events/SHAREOnlinefromSeattle/tabid/556/Default.aspx

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc