Paul Gilmartin wrote:

In a recent note, "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)" said:
2. Bring WSA back from the dead and fix it.

Is this the dreaded ISPGUI?  I'd favor an approach which writes
classic 327x data streams to a socket, and instructions for
modifying an open-source x3270 client to function as an agent.
The ISPGUI window was just plain ugly.

But does (did?) WSA support dynamic resizing of the window?
Ain't entirely rocket science, nowadays.

Your idea of passing 327x streams to a socket is weak compared to what WSA already does. You're making the classic mistake of confusing the WSA (Workstation Agent) with the ISPF GUI.

The ISPF GUI is just one component of the WSA. Other capabilities of WSA include the ability to edit workstation files on the mainframe or mainframe files on the workstation, the ability to transfer members to/from the workstation simply by selecting them from a member list, etc. Please understand, these features are available even if you're using ISPF from a 3270 emulator!

IBM went to considerable trouble to develop the WSA and integrate it with ISPF. Unfortunately, most users take one look at the GUI, say "Yuck", and move on -- thus remaining completely ignorant of the WSA's most-powerful features. If more people learned how useful the WSA can be, there would be more "mind share" generated. More "mind share" means more enhancements. More enhancements means more "mind share". And so on ...

--
| Edward E. Jaffe                |                                |