(Caveat: I am using z/OS v1.7, so the files in question may not be the same.)
I see two problems with what you are trying to do.

1.  The UTF-8 file is not case sensitive.  Where IBM-1047 has "<a>"
and "<A>", UTF-8 has "<LATIN_SMALL_LETTER_A>"
and "<LATIN_CAPITAL_LETTER_A>".   Without some intelligence in your regular
expressions, you would have no matches at all.  But you may need to pay
attention to case in one file and not the other.

2.  You mentioned characters such as thorn, where it appears that IBM-1047
has only one character and UTF-8 has two - both small and capital letters.  I
don't know if that means that the IBM-1047 thorn is lower case only, or if an
implementor is free to choose what he wants.  It appears that PComm has
chosen to treat them as lower case.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:35:17 -0500, Paul Gilmartin
<paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:09:44 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
>>
>>>(z/OS 1.10)  Motivatted by a thread in ASSEMBLER-LIST, I scanned
>>>/usr/lib/nls/charmap/IBM-1047 looking for matching character names in
>>>/usr/lib/nls/charmap/UTF-8.
>>
>>>(I used regular expressions.)
>>
>>Use [ -] instead of [-]. Use the i flag, e.g.,
>>
>>/commercial[ -]at/i

>>>/x80 Not found: <O-slash>              /x80
>>
>>"LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH STROKE"
>>
>>"LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O SLASH"

 ... some text omitted