>Thanks !!! Yes that's correct we have traditional PDS and not PDSE... I
>thought same & even  suggested  application programmer to split the writing
>to members however could not prove it & again they had been using
>DISP=OLD which put my thought in question...
>
>There JCL look like this (current)..
>

>//step1 exec pgm=xxxxx
>//sysprint dd sysout=*
>//dd1   dd disp=old,dsn=xxxxxxx(member1)
>//dd2   dd disp=old,dsn=xxxxxxx(member2)
>//dd3   dd disp=old,dsn=xxxxxxx(member3)

I didnt' find an exact reference quickly, but I believe you will run into
trouble if
the application opens all three outputs DD1, DD2 and DD3 when xxxxxxx is the
same data set. DISP=OLD only protects this job step from some other job, not
fro itself. Suppose you open DD1 first, then open DD2 before closing DD1. The
starting TTR for DD2 may (since I couldn't find the reference) point to the
same location as DD1. The writes get overlay one another. The STOW is not
issued automatically until you close each output file. When the DCBs are
closed, the STOWs get issued, with the same TTR for the both members.