On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 20:08 -0400, Stephen Y Odo wrote:
> kewl ... how'd you do it [run the Tur(n)key system on N900]?

The N900 runs an embedded Linux ("Maemo") on an ARM processor, with
specialized device drivers for a handful of radios (GSM, GPS, BT, WLAN,
what-have-you).  It is unpolished as current smartphones go, but way
wide open.  A hacker's phone.

I started by installing Alan Bruce's "Easy Debian", a port of Debian
Lenny that runs in a Maemo chroot.  That was easy, and took a few taps
on the screen.  Hercules, xterm, x3270 and telnet all installed within
Easy Debian via apt-get, again only a few commands.

Volker Bandke's "Tur(n)key MVS" is distributed in a zip file, which
contains an iso image.  It wasn't possible for me to mount the iso image
directly on the N900 because that kernel hasn't been compiled with loop
block support.  So I was obligated to mount the iso image elsewhere and
then copy the directory structure to the N900 (I used scp for this).

Volker supplies an "xstartmvs" shell script that fires up Hercules and a
handful of tn3270 sessions.  Those tn3270 sessions are treated as
locally attached 3270s by Hercules, and become consoles and VTAM LUs as
soon as you IPL the MVS volume.  Hercules itself can be controlled via
the xterm you started it in or through a web interface.

> wonder if I can get it running on my Droid?

Don't think so - doesn't Android limit you to the Dalvik JVM?

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.