Last night (well, way into this morning) we had a severe WTO buffer shortage
that nobody saw. Here's why:

*IOS071I 0500,**,CONSOLE, START PENDING 378
*IOS002A 0500,NO PATHS AVAILABLE
 IOS2002I 0500 NO PATHS AVAILABLE 381
 STATUS FOR PATH(S) ED
   SUBCHANNEL PATH AVAILABLE, BUT DEVICE NOT OPERATIONAL (C0)
   NO FURTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE OR UNKNOWN CONDITION (FF)

3.5 hours later:

*IEA405E WTO BUFFER SHORTAGE - 80% FULL
IEE889I 01.04.41 CONSOLE DISPLAY 111
MSG: CURR=2401 LIM=3000 RPLY:CURR=18   LIM=99   SYS=yyyy      PFK=00
 xxxxxx             46  COND=A      AUTH=MASTER       NBUF=2390
  0500                  AREA=Z,A        MFORM=T,S,J
  xxxx                  DEL=RD   RTME=1/4    RNUM=15   SEG=14    CON=N
K S,DEL=R,L=xxxxxx
IEE151I DELETE REQUEST INCONSISTENT-NO DISPLAY ON SCREEN
COMMAND ISSUED IS K E,D,L=xxxxxx

Severe WTO buffer shortage a short while later. No other IOS messages or
CNZ messages (no cnz messages before the buffer shortage) until the console
was varied online again *hours* later (while still in severe wto shortage):
V 500,ONLINE
IEE302I 0500     ONLINE
LOGOFF - ISSUED BY IEECVFTG
IEA406I WTO BUFFER SHORTAGE RELIEVED

At the time of the IOS002A another system in another sysplex but on the
same box got this:
*IOS050I CHANNEL DETECTED ERROR ON 0500,**,**,**04
 CNZ4200I CONSOLE zzzzzz HAS FAILED. REASON=IOERR

Now my question (mainly to IBM - will probably be faster than going through a
tedious ETR): Why the heck isn't the console address space notified that no
paths are available? Why is the console address space still issuing messages to
that console? Why isn't console notified that the console 500 is not availabe
anymore?

Nobody was able to even *see* the shortage messages since nothing got
displayed on that console anymore!!!!

And if this is broken as designed, will I have to code an mpf exit that makes
sure all buffer shortage messages will be sent to all consoles in the sysplex?
Operators will be extremely happy about that (since many don't even know
where to see which system issued the message- reading a formatted syslog
message appears to be a dying/lost art).

Regards, Barbara Nitz