On 11 Apr 2010 15:52:15 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>Pseudonyms have a long and often honorable history.  How many of you who are
>not francophone
>know that Voltaire's "real" name is François-Marie Arouet?

I'm sort of the other way around, if you asked me who François-Marie
Arouet was, I would come up with Voltaire (which is the easier name to
remember)

I appreciate you including the word "often".

Pseudonyms can be used for marketing reasons.

Pseudonyms can be used to avoid confusion with others with the same
name (Stewart Granger's real name was James Stewart).

Pseudonyms can be used to avoid capture by authorities.

Pseudonyms can be used so we don't assume someone is speaking for his
place of employment.

And pseudonyms can be used for trolling.

- James Madison