Alan,

In OS/390 V2.9 (I think) IBM provided an mvs command called CMDS.  It can
display or remove various types of MVS commands from the queue.

You might want to put a trigger in place to issue the CMDS SHOW when this job
starts to see what all else might be going on.

CMDS D  or CMDS DISPLAY
DISPLAY | D -- display the numbers and brief information about the
commands that are currently executing and those that are waiting for
execution.

IIRC - Vary is considered an M2 command level.  Which I think means it can be
ignored if the system has too much going on.  The manual should have a better
explanation as to what gets tossed and what does not from the mvs command CMDS.

Is there a reason these devices are not brought online normally?

Lizette