Ed,

My "perceived" observation is that varying devices and paths in z/OS takes
much longer and uses more resources than it did many moons ago under ESA, XA
or SP2. It's my understanding that a lot of device validation that used to
occur at IPL when a device was discovered now occurs when the device comes
online, hence a faster IPL, but a slower vary online.

For example varying just 256 volumes online on 2094-408 with one dedicated
CP online locks up TSO for a minute or three, and usually drops my NJE links
(yeah I'm too lazy to tune this - it's a lab). I don't recall this behavior
way back on 3033 or 4341, or any uniprocessor LPARs I had in early PR/SM and
MLPF.

Ron

Behalf Of
> Ed Gould