Timothy,

I didn't say that our current solution was 'bad'.  It has been working very
well
at our current site.  The problem is that a lot of production data is stored on
virtual tape - used in day-to-day processes.  At the DR site, we need access
to this data.  We can not bring our appliance to the DR site and the DR site
does not host a similar appliance ($$$).  We want to explore software-based
virtual tape solutions that store tape data on mainframe disk.  We can then
backup mainframe disks and restore them at the DR site.

Thanks for letting me clarify.

Todd