What kind of "weird" results?  I have done this before, but I redefined
using PIC S9(09) BINARY rather than 9(8) COMP.  Are you using the
TRUNC(BIN) compiler option?  Check the manual for impact of the TRUNC
option for more info.

Sometimes it helps to use the LIST compiler option to see exactly what
the compiler is generating for your pointer arithmetic statements,
sometimes you can determine your problem more easily that way.

HTH

Peter

and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.