Rex

The sample does not accomplish what you intended. Instead it requires one
of the following 3 scenarios to be true:

1. 2 numeric values in an 8 character password, where one of the numerics
is in column 1
2. 2 numeric values in an 8 character password, where one of the numerics
is in column 2
3. 2 numeric values in an 8 character password, where one of the numerics
is in column 3
and so on.

Usually the reason for a sample rule .... RULEn( LENGTH(6:8)
ALPHANUM(6:8)) ... to be ineffective is that the intent of rule 1 is
undone by rule 2 (or 3 or 4..)

Example:
  RULE1( LENGTH(8) ALPHANUM(1:8) )
  RULE2( LENGTH(6:7) )

Given the above, 8 character passwords must contain at least 1 numeric and
1 alphanational, but 6 or 7 character passwords have no such restriction.

Hayim

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote on 2010.04.27
14:49:49:

> Rick,
>
> IF (and that's a big if!) he wants to have the password set to
> specifically 8 characters, couldn't he use 8 rules for this:
>
> SETR PASSWORD( RULE1( LENGTH(8) NUMERIC(1) ALPHANUM(2:8)))
> SETR PASSWORD( RULE2( LENGTH(8) NUMERIC(2) ALPHANUM(1,3:8)))
> SETR PASSWORD( RULE3( LENGTH(8) NUMERIC(3) ALPHANUM(1:2,4:8)))
>
> And so on?
>
> Wouldn't that force a numeric in at least 1 position, but allow for more
> than one?  I'm not saying I would want to do this, because this also
> allows an all-numeric password.
>
> Rex

Hayim
_____________________________________
Hayim Sokolsky, CISSP
    Mainframe Security Architect
    DTCC Corporate Information Security
    18301 Bermuda Green Dr, MS 1-CIS
    Tampa FL 33647-1760

    Tel. (813) 470-2177

<FONT size=2><BR>
DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any
attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company
accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this email.</FONT>