In <h2z4e2421a41005070416ra34dd776g2e8c933c79bbe...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 05/07/2010
   at 12:16 PM, Sam Siegel <s...@pscsi.net> said:

>I'm commenting from the perspective of a developer.  I'm not sure that I
>understand the distinctions being made.

The SYSCATLG and CVOL[1] infrastructure that existed before VSAM
maintained a tree with 8 character node names. The original VSAM
catalog, and the ICF catalog that replaced it, used the entire name as
a key and had no tree at all, other than the balanced tree used to
implement keys in VSAM.

>It is my understanding that regardless of the type of catalog
>(discounting hfs and zfs file systems) mvs dataset names are
>just that.

They are now; that wasn't always true. The restriction to 8 character
index level was due to SYSCTLG and CVOL, and is still with us now that
CVOL's are gone.

>And that while being similar to a unix/windows file name,

They aren't. E.g., MVS does not allow you to catalog a name with
imbedded blanks.

>Please explain in more detail so I can understand the distinction being
>made.

The major difference is that the periods have special significance,
even after the demise of CVOL's. There's not only the 8 character
limit on index levels, there's also the handling of multi-level
aliases (MLA's).

[1] SYSCTLG was basically just a special CVOL at the root.