In <listserv%201005081120217744.0...@bama.ua.edu>, on 05/08/2010
   at 11:20 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:

>How can there ever be an "empty generated SYSIN DD *"?

The obvious way, if it works, is to place a /* statement after another
JCL statement.

>The SYSIN DD * is generated only if there's a line in the JCL
>causing it to be generated, hence it's nonempty.

There is no hence as you worded it. If the line causing //SYSIN DD *
to be generated is a /* line, then an empty data set is what you
should get.

>And I believe that it has been written here that DFSORT treats SYSIN
>DD DUMMY differently from an empty non-DUMMY SYSIN.

If true it were a grievous fault. That's worse than barfing on an
empty SYSLIN.

>Similarly, DUMMY in a concatenation behaves differently from an
>empty non-DUMMY data set in the same concatenation.

Do you mean only that it's different from an empty data set with the
same attributes as the rest of the concatenation, or that it's
different from an unlike attributes concatenation not involving DUMMY?
If the latter, is there still a difference when the DCB has the
"unlike attributes" bit set?