Paul Gilmartin wrote:

> On Tue, 25 May 2010 16:38:32 -0400, David Andrews wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 16:10 -0400, Tom Marchant wrote:
> >> The 68000 and its successors are big endian.
> >> They switched to PowerPC in 1994 and to i86 in 2006.
> >
> >Didn't PPC go both ways?  (I vaguely remember a talk by David Barnes a
> >few years ago, where he mentioned the OS/2 PPC port making use of the
> >mixed-endian-ness of PPC.)
> >
> Yow!  I knew it was bimodal, but:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC#Endian_modes
>
>     In little-endian mode, the three lowest-order bits of the
>     effective address are exclusive-ORed with a three bit value
>     selected by the length of the operand. This is enough to
>     appear fully little-endian to normal software.
>
> I suppose "three lowest-order bits" means the rightmost three
> bits in big-endian mode, and something somewhat different in
> little-endian.

Nope, it always means the three rightmost bits of an address. Bytes get
reordered when data is moved between memory and a register. The hardware
still runs big-endian.

> There's one bit that controls the endianness in supervisor
> state; another for problem state.

In the embedded version of the Power architecture, byte ordering is an
attribute of a page. Power is not the only chip architecture that supports
some sort of bi-endianess. Itanium, which is mainly little-endian, supports
big-endian memory references.

> --gil

Regards,
Henry