On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:13:27 -0400, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>In <listserv%201005240741293308.0...@bama.ua.edu>, on 05/24/2010
>   at 07:41 AM, Paul Gilmartin aid:
>
>>ISPF also does ENQ SYSDSN SHR, and for load modules, SYSIEWLP, so it
>>provides protection from programs not doing the same thing.
>
>No, only from programs allocating exclusive. It doesn't protect from
>programs using DISP=SHR without the ISPF coordination.

Programs updating PDS members using DISP=SHR provide an integrity
exposure if other programs do likewise unless some additional
serialization mechanism is used.  What's necessary is that all
programs updating PDS members use identical (or at least coordinated)
serialization mechanisms.  In that sense, relying on ISPF
coordination introduces no new exposure in environments not
already using another convention.

(I'm not saying this well.)  If a site uses only DISP=SHR, but
relies on job name serialization (all jobs updating a given
PDS have identical jobnames), then, yes, introducing reliance
on ISPF serialization with a different job name (or TSO session)
introduces a hazard.  ISPF serialization solved an outstanding
and pervasive availability problem.  It should be adopted more
widely.

In the case of the C RTL, the programmer should be given the
choice of ENQ SYSDSN EXC or ISPF serialization which has an
excellent track record when used properly.

-- gil