Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

>I received what purports to be an invitation to paracalls.com from
Md.Abdullah[1], addressed to an address that I use only on IBM-MAIN. Has
anybody else gotten this, and is there any indication as to whether it is legit?

I don't remember receiving such mails from paracalls.com, but a lot from other.

"paracalls.com" (located in USA and Bangladesh) is probably a dubious social
networking thing where you exchange questions and answers, but I don't like
their privacy policy.

Extracts from their privacy policy:

"we gather information about all of our users collectively, such as what areas
users visit most frequently and what services users access the most. We only
use such data anonymously. This information helps us determine what is most
beneficial for our users, and how we can continually create a better overall
experience for you. "

"We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our
behalf.  .....  These other companies will have access to your personal
information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may NOT share
that information with any other third party. "

"Because of our use of cookies, we can deliver quicker service, consistent
updated results, and a more personalized site experience."

So, IMHO, they're harvesters of information...

>Normally I assume that such "invitations" are bogus unless the person
allegedly inviting me has contacted me first.

Of course it is bogus. Probably baiting you for identity theft...

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht