Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 11:17 AM
Subject: Re: ISPF member list

In a recent note, Gary Green said:

Date:         Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:38:31 -0400

Funny thing, I like this behavior. If one is manually searching/looking-in
different members in the member list, it's a pain to scroll down a few
"lines" to get to the next member that is off-screen. With this auto-scroll
of the selected member name to the top makes it so much easier...

OTOH, it's simply moronic that when the member list is small and
fits entirely on a single screen, and I browse the last member and
exit, the screen is scrolled so only one member shows.  Such
automatic scrolling should never go farther than the effect of
"DOWN MAX".

And there you have the "tastes great", "less filling" argument that this issue brings up. Back in the mid-90's we were having MAJOR problems trying to debug member list scrolling issues because of inconsistent behavior amongst all the different member lists. We decided to standardize on the scrolling behavior because it fixed a major problem when processing lots of members. Let's say you selected 100 out of 500 members to process. The resulting member list would be at the top of the list and you would have to scroll down a number of pages to take up where you left off. The problem with handling all the exceptions (like single pages, etc.) is the complications that it introduces to the member list code. We've tried to streamline it to make it simple, but we've had to re-introduce the non-intuitive behavior for those who only work with member lists on a single screen. I won't even get into the complications if an error occurs while you're processing multiple members.

It's not as easy as it seems. If you think you can do better, be my guest. Fill out your SHARE requirements and then spend time with the ISPF development team beta testing the prototypes. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Regards,
Tom Conley