Jim,

There's more information on the JBoss/Tomcat relationship here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBoss_application_server

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JBoss_application_server>I'm not aware of
instructions for running later releases of JBoss on z/OS.

Here's a search of the JBoss.org Wiki, which doesn't reveal much to me:

http://community.jboss.org/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&q=z/os

<http://community.jboss.org/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&q=z/os>FWIW,
there are two kinds of z/OS Java porting problems:

1) getting the code layed down properly, and converting the right ASCII
files to EBCDIC.
If running under the JZOS batch launcher, you have to setup an environment
shell script to match whatever script that JBoss normally uses.
Otherwise, you have to modify JBoss shell script to set the right
z/OS-specific JVM settings to handle EBCDIC output correctly, while still
running the JVM with -Dfile.encoding=ISO8859-1.

2) problems with running under the IBM Java SDK (versus Sun).  Some java
programs depend on Sun-specific, non-public api programs in the SUN JRE.

Problems under (1) are easier to fix than (2).

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com