George

Yes, I thought about LOGAPPL as something to mention in my first response
but then I rejected it - and that was before I spotted that the "dog didn't
bark in the night", that is, the IST890I message was missing.

The reason I rejected it was that, in order for the mechanism associated with
the LOGAPPL operand to be "fired off" by VTAM, VTAM has to have the
primary LU application active - strictly "enabled for logons" - and the
secondary LU has to be activated and "enabled". If the secondary LU has
been activated it *must* have an SSCP-LU session in place. If an SSCP-LU
session is in place, sense code 08970003 cannot apply.

In case, the sense codes were being lazy, I even checked that there is a
sense code for being active but not "enabled", 083A0002. But since the
mechanism needs the secondary LU to be "enabled" even this would not have
been seen.

LOGAPPL and this AUTOLOGON process is quite interesting. When APPN was
introduced, it went from being completely reliable in the subarea context to
becoming flaky in the APPN context. Hence the AUTORTRY and AUTOTI start
options were introduced as a way of trying to compensate. Since I had to
teach APPN VTAM, I took some interest in this process.

Well, I just checked my notes, I actually cover this topic in my non-APPN
VTAM presentation notes since I already had the LOGAPPL topic covered and I
need to incorporate the AUTORTRY and AUTOTI start options. I checked all
those notes and I cannot see - even when the named application resides with
another VTAM - a VTAM restart (as part of the IPL) could cause the effect
Dave Kopischke observes.

We are still labouring under the considerable handicap of not having been told
by Dave what flavour of TN3270 server he is using. Assuming it is the OSA-
ICC, there is a point to get out of the way. I tried to see if there was
anything in Chapter 11, "Programming for the IBM 3270 Information Display
System" of the z/OS Communications Server SNA Programming manual
regarding what might be said concerning a pre/non-SNA channel-attached
3270 device which was just not there, the equivalent of "powered off" which
is I believe how the OSA-ICC behaves when there is no TN3270 TCP
connection in place. There was nothing, so it seems that the LU will be
considered to have an SSCP-LU session in place and be "enabled" when the
LOCAL statement has been activated.

> The LOGAPPL acts like a VARY ACT, ACQ ...

Only when VTAM is prompted by the secondary LU definition with LOGAPPL
specified becoming active and "enabled".

> ... if the APPL it is trying to Bind the terminal to is non-existent, not
> ready,
or whatever, the blank or
whatever screen on the 3 failing devices is typically the result.

A primary LU (application) will not send a BIND to a secondary LU unless there
has been a successful session setup first. It is the session *setup* to which
the message group headed by the IST663I message refers. There is, of course
an exception to this bare statement which does not apply here which is a LEN
session setup. Such a session can be initiated purely by sending a BIND
request - and it doesn't actually need to be an LU type 6.2 session but that's
another story ...

> It may even be something missing in TCPPARMS.

It won't be any sort of TCPPARMS data set or member if the TN3270 server is
an OSA-ICC.

> 1) The problem occurs only after IPL

Yes

> 2) The devices come up inactive

It's not quite clear what Dave's "inactive" is.

> 3) To start the sessions, Attachmate must be restarted.

I think there is some sort of restart of the TN3270 client program.

Chris Mason

<chrisma...@belgacom.net>wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> should have been
>>
>> "I would have imagined that 'Everything obvious' would have included
>> particularly seeking out any error messages but there's no accounting for
>> the
>> rather peculiar approach some system programmers adopt to problem
>> determination."
>>
>> So you were quite right to take Dave Kopischke "back to basics".
>>
>> --
>>
>> But let's do a Rumsfeld - apparently based on an idea which originated with
>> Confucius - on this problem, first regarding what it is we are dealing with
>> here:
>>
>> -
>>
>> From the post of "Fri 11:45:20 -0600":
>>
>> - We are dealing with an "emulator", presumably a 3270 emulator.
>>
>> - There is a reference to "sessions", so the 3270 emulator is supposed to
>> be in
>> communications with something supporting a VTAM API (although that
*may*
>> be presumptuous if it turns out the "application" is VTAM's Unformatted
>> System Services)
>>
>> - "coming back after IPL" indicates that the 3270 emulator is expected to
>> initiate the communication to something in the vicinity of VTAM.
>>
>> - Some instances of the 3270 emulator succeed - 4 out of 4 in one case
and
>> 1 out of 4 in another case - and some do not - 3 out of the 4 in the latter
>> case.
>>
>> - Naturally there are some definitions involved and they are described
>> as "sessions" although the word "session" may very well be being thoroughly
>> misused.[1]
>>
>> - It is "let slip" that not only is VTAM involved but also TN3270 but what
>> flavour of TN3270 emulator is unclear and remains unclear in the
subsequent
>> posts at the time of writing.
>>
>> - It is also "let slip" that CICS is involved so we now should be able to
>> conclude that the intent is that the communications is all the way through
>> the
>> VTAM API to CICS. I think what is being said about CICS is that it can be
>> stopped and started independently of the IPL and the 3270 emulators
>> establish communications without unexpected problems, perhaps entirely
>> without human intervention.
>>
>> -
>>
>> From the post of "Fri 14:39:54 -0500" as a result of questions from Patrick
>> Lyon:
>>
>> - There could be a mystery that "Connectivity to the host is lost." with
>> some
>> 3270 emulator windows but not with the one which succeeds. This simply
>> raises the question of what "connectivity" might be supposed to mean. I
>> would
>> consider that it was impossible that "connectivity was lost" if there were
>> at
>> least one successful case of communication with both the PCs. Perhaps
Dave
>> simply meant to say that "connectivity was lost" during the IPL.
>>
>> - It is confirmed that the 3270 emulators are operating as TN3270 clients
>> and
>> that something more in the vicinity of VTAM is behaving as a TN3270
server.
>> Inclusive but not exclusive options are the z/OS Communications Server
>> TN3270E server, probably running these days as a separate address space,
or
>> an OSA-ICC TN3270 server.
>>
>> - Confusion is now added in that Dave now tells us that he expects
>> communication between the 3270 emulator and minimally VTAM to be
>> confirmed by the appearance of an USS message 10, rather approximately
>> described by Patrick Lyon as a USSTAB.[2] Since Dave expressed concern
>> about CICS before and confirmed that stopping and starting CICS did not
>> reveal the same problem - described just about inevitably these days as
>> an "issue" of course - we are left with an outstanding question: should
>> successful communication be indicated by an USS message 10 or a
CICS "good
>> morning" transaction message - or whatever the equivalent is these days.
>>
>> Incidentally, if it is now certain that there is a TN3270 server on the
>> communication path, we can more accurately describe
the "communication" as