I'm afraid I was responsible for a shield, but on a bank of 3490 drives.
For some reason, the (unshielded) power switch was placed at EXACTLY the
same level as a button on the back pocket of suit pants.  Anyone leaning
against the drives...

The first time an entire string of tape drives powered down, no one could
figure it out.  I was busted the second time it happened.  Soon thereafter
shields were velcroed over the power switch.

For a while, I was suspected for any unexplained outage, whether it was my
shift or not.

To the designer of the 3490 cabinet, thanks a lot.

Regards,
Kevin Kinney