It is going to depend.

You can write a REXX that uses the LM functions to delete a member.
If you have PDSMAN with FASTCOPY you can ZERODIR.
If you have SAS you can KILL a pds.

And I am sure there are other ways.
The requirement is that the dataset is enqueued with DISP=SHR and that the
SCHEDULER does not try to load from it when you are emptying it.

Lizette