From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Jeffrey Deaver
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Geographic separation of primary and backup/DR sites

>Also remember if DR is fairly close to base make sure they are on
>separate power grids or at least have generators.

That is such a nebulous term, "power grid".  Anyone have more definite
references for what that should mean?  Does it just mean separate power
substations?  That the ultimate feed comes from completely different
generating plants?  Of different types? (Nuke vs Coal?)  And how exactly
do
you find out information like that?  And can't the power down the last
mile
be coming from one place today and other tomorrow depending on how the
power company manages it?

While I'm sure this is not comprehensive, this Blackout Tracker website
gives some interesting insight into power outages...
http://powerquality.eaton.com/blackouttracker/default.asp

Jeffrey Deaver, Engineer
Systems Engineering
jeffrey.dea...@securian.com
651-665-4231(v)
IS - "Creating competitive advantage with technology.  Providing service
that excels."
OSS - " Where Innovation Happens"

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.