"John Hooper" <jhoo...@foodlion.com> wrote in message
news:<listserv%201007071639213340.0...@bama.ua.edu>...
> I have looked at the exits and I don't see two things that I would
have to
> have to recover from SYSDSN ENQ failures.  First, I can't see a way to
get
> control on and ENQ failure and secondly, even if I could, I could not
see a way
> to redrive the original ENQ request for SYSDSN.  Also, all of the ENQ
exits
> seem to indicate that a "wait" is not allowed.  A WTOR or STIMER does
that if
> you want to wait a bit and retry.  Also, there seems to be discussion
about
> my possible "solution" to remove RACF read access.  It is true that
ENQ and
> RACF have no connection.  It is just likely that a DD statement in JCL
or a
> utility control statement will at least eventually open the file even
though the
> ENQ might have already been satisfied.  A security failure will reduce
the
> likelyhood that the programmer will just follow the old adage "if at
first you
> don't succeed, resubmit the job and hope for a miracle".
>
> It also looks like the most common approach to prevent development
access
> from interfering with production process is to isolate production data
from
> development.  Is that the consensus?  Thanks.

Well no, the original problem is a production job wanting a data set
that is held by a development job. Apparently both may/need use the same
data and you cannot separate them. If you could, you can also deny the
development job any access to the data set in the current environment.

A simple solution is to use JCL allocation: the system issues the
contention message, the automation tool traps it checks the situation
and cancels the development job.

Kees.

e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286