Doesn't reg 0 point to the XPL ???

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Mark Yuhas
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 11:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: JES2 Exit 53 problem

Maybe another set of eyes can show me the error of my ways.  I have
written JES2 Exit #53 to validate the accounting field of the JOB
statement.  The exit performs as designed except for a nagging problem.
I want to pass an error message to be added to the JCL data set.

According to the JES2 Exit Manual:  When passing a return code of 12,
your exit routine can pass an installation-defined error message to JES2
to be added to the JCL data set rather than the standard error message.
To send an error message, generate the message text in your exit
routine, move it to area pointed to by X053JXWR, and set the X053XSEM
bit in X053RESP to one.

I have included the code I have written to do this:
L       R1,XPL_ADDRESS
L       R2,X053JXWR-XPL(,R1)
MVC     0(80,R2),TEXTAREA_MESSAGE
OI      X053RESP-XPL(R1),X053XSEM

Yes, the return code is 12 as evidenced by this message:
/HASP119 MYUHASTU DELETED - ILLEGAL JOB CARD ACCT FIELD, RC=12

I have checked and rechecked this code and the contents of storage via
SVC dumps.  All looks good but the message is not being added to the JCL
data set.

Any suggestions?