This is the reason when we put in our H50 we went with a third-party
network device.  I asked the business integrator who assisted us what
his take was on it and here is his reply:

Rex -

You are correct - what happened to them is exactly the reason you went
with the external device.  If any emulated I/O is in use, a reboot of
the Support Element will probably take MVS down.

If they had to unplug and replug the network cable connected to the
ethernet card, they should have done everything possible to stop all
activity on that card prior to unplugging the cable.   I'm not sure if
there is a foolproof procedure, but if I had to unplug the ethernet
cable I would do the following in this sequence.  Stop TCP/IP.  Vary
offline ALL emulated devices associated with that card.  Vary the path
to those devices
offline.  Config CHPID FC offline to this LPAR.   When this is complete,
you might be able to unplug the ethernet without taking down OS/2.  If
the cable work did not cause any OS/2 problems, reverse the above
procedure to get the TCP/IP connection restored.

As far as I know, there is nothing they could have done from an OS/2
perspective.  I know of no way to stop device drivers or anything else
that may be associated with the ethernet card.

HTH

Rex