On 13 Jul 2010 11:05:44 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main (Message-ID:<aanlktinbp3mc8a7iukmsoxccygys-gj7fplatsvwo...@mail.gmail.com>) zedgarhoo...@gmail.com (zMan) wrote:

I use a site that requires 8-byte passwords, changed every n days, with no
more than 3 characters from the previous password in a row and at least one
digit,, which can't be leading or trailing". Surprise, we use ABCnnDEF,
where the nn is what changes. Fortunately this isn't an important site, so
I'm not worried about someone getting at it, but it's an example where the
stupid restrictions fail.

One company had arcane RACF rules for password composition but "for security reasons" wouldn't even tell the users what those rules were. After trying several times to give it a password it liked, I was told that everyone just uses a certain fixed pattern, part of which was part of the userid, and certain positions were numerics which get changed when needed.

--
I cannot receive mail at the address this was sent from.
To reply directly, send to ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com