Crispin,

>From what I read of your email you are trying to choose between two
sub-capacity z10 models, one with two CP and one with four, that have
roughly the same total MIPS as your current z9 which has two CP. If I have
that part correct, then the sub-capacity uniprocessor MIPS speed of the z10
with two CP will be approximately the same as your current z9, and the
sub-capacity uniprocessor MIPS speed of the z10 with four CP will half of
the current z9.

There have been several emails that paraphrase what I said about your 4xCP
z10: "any compute bound task that runs at close to 100% of one CP is going
to take twice as long" but I'll explain what I meant.

Any batch job, SQL Query, transaction, etc that is compute bound usually
means that the speed of the CPU governs the elapsed time of the unit of
work. Where the UOW has little in the way of Multi-tasking, like a batch
compile or a single DB2 thread, that governor will be the uniprocessor
speed, and not the total capacity of your z9 or z10. If go from 2xCP to 4xCP
that are 50% slower, your compute bound tasks will take twice as long to
complete because they are running at half the MIPS speed.

In the case of your development environment, if you are currently running
enough concurrent work, or UOWs with unusually high multitasking, and your
2xCP z9 running at close to 100% busy most of the time, then one of three
things will happen if you go to 4xCP that are 50% slower:

a) Net throughput stays the same as a high number of tasks compete for a
small number of CP and net capacity has stayed the same.

b) Net throughput reduces because the multitasking level occasionally (or
often) falls below the number of CP and the slower uniprocessor retards the
CPU execution speed. A symptom of this is the inability to no longer sustain
100% busy for the same workload mix.

c) The throughput of some UOWs improves, while it degrades for others. You
have basically changed the whole dynamic. Sometimes heavy compute bound
tasks are throttled, and the IO bound tasks run faster because they have
access to the unused capacity. This can be good, but not so good if the
compute bound tasks are the important ones.

There are many greybeards, or not so grey, that remember running G3 and G4
CMOS while our mates at the pub were running Skylines. My experience is that
often the CMOS with many, slower Uniprocessors would compensate for an
inadequate IPS or WLM setup, throttle the Compute bound tasks, and improve
the net throughput (UOW per minute). However I also remember many CICS and
IDMS shops that swapped to fewer and faster Uniprocessors on Amdahl and HDS
and quickly improved the throughput, and could actually use 100% of the net
capacity.

So the short version of all this is YMMV. You should take a bit of time to
profile your workload to establish if there is a significant amount of
Compute bound workload, decide how important it is to what you do, and if
you will end up with reaction a, b or c.

Ron

Behalf Of