At 08:53 -0700 on 11/02/2005, Paul Gilmartin wrote about Re: Module description:

In a recent note, Robert A. Rosenberg said:

 > Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 2005 00:38:45 -0500

 > In my opinion, the Auditor has NO valid reason to be asking this
 question about ANY IBM  (or other Vendor) supplied module. It is
 their job to KNOW this information or they are not qualified to be
 doing the audit in the first place. The only modules they have any
 > justification to be asking this type of question about is your USER
 > WRITTEN Application code and exits from IBM and other Vendor Code.

What's a "Vendor"?  Does a contractor producing a one-of-a-kind
module count as a Vendor.

That is "Work for Hire" and would fall in the "USER WRITTEN Application code" category since there is no real difference between it and code written by the customer's own programmers.

I classify "Vendor" as someone who writes a generic product and sells it to all comers (ex: IBM, CA, BMC, Microsoft, etc.). IOW, companies that sell pre-written (as opposed to custom, written under user supplied specs) software. This type of software would/should come with design documentation written by the Vendor and thus available to anyone who purchases the software or documentation.