On 07/23/2010 10:07 PM, Bob Woodside wrote:
> On Friday 23 July 2010 11:52, zMan wrote:
>> It's always appeared to me to be:
>> Americans: see-eye-see-ess
>> Others: kicks
>
> I think you might occasionally hear "cheeks" in Italy.  :-)
>
> Among Americans, I think it depends on how much contact the staff of a
> particular shop have with European users of Cumbersome Initials
> Connoting Something. In particular those who've had  contact with the
> CICS development team at Hursley Park seem most likely to adopt - and
> spread - the UK  pronunciation.
>
> Most of the people I've worked with over the past 30 years in the
> Northeast have said "kicks", but that's been in IBM or in an ISV with
> strong UK ties. I used to hear see-eye-see-ess in Houston ages ago. But
> as others have pointed out, the phenomenon seems to defy
> regionalization within the US.
>

> Cheers,
> Bob
> --
> Bob Woodside
> Woodsway Consulting, Inc.
> http://www.woodsway.com

I think you are absolutely right that it is based on your contacts and
not just region.  When we first started looking at CICS in late 1970's
we went to CICS class (probably Dallas or Houston) where we were taught
"see-eye-see-ess".  We exclusively used that convention for years until
our Tech-CICS types began frequenting the CICS sessions at SHARE and
later working directly with IBM Hursley.  At that point they adopted the
"kicks" convention, while some of us at our installation that don't work
with CICS on a daily basis still prefer the initials.  No doubt the
frequency with which you have to say CICS in the course of a day is an
influencing factor.

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jcew...@acm.org