On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:04:52 -0400, Thompson, Steve wrote:

><SNIP>
>If you don't understand what's wrong with PDS, re-read Etienne Thijsse's
>thread on attempting to delete a PDSE member.  Or imagine my astonished
>dismay the first time I allocated a member with DISP=(OLD,DELETE) and
>watched the entire PDS vanish.  Enough counterintuitive behaviors and
>"flaws"
>with recondite repairs add up to "wrong".
>
><SNIPPAGE>
>
>I suppose that if I were to work with a VSAM file with
>DISP=(SHR,DELETE), that it would be JCL's fault when the VSAM file goes
>to the bit bucket.
>
>And if you were using a data base that you have to point to, and you
>wanted to delete a row and coded DISP=(OLD,DELETE), that would be JCL's
>fault also.

What are you assuming appears as the value of DSN=?  (I'm not sure
what you mean by a VSAM file?)  I'd expect a JCL error for "(SHR,DELETE)"
since exclusive access is required for DELETE.

In the second case, if DSN= identifies a particular row (is this
syntactically possible?), I'd intuitively expect that one row to be
deleted; if DSN= identifies the entire data base, the entire data
base should be deleted.

We are burdened nowadays with Byzantine behaviors that were a
necessary accommodation to resource constraints that prevailed
45 years ago.  Today, if the programmer codes DSN=DATA.SET(MEMBER),
DISP=(OLD,DELETE), it should be easy enough for deallocation to
issue a STOW to delete that specific member.

The PDS itself is an accommodation to such an antiquated constraint.
In 1965 it was elegant; nowadays it's a quaint PITA.

-- gil