At 1:15 PM -0700 on 7/27/10, Edward Jaffe wrote about Re: remove() of PDSE member leaves PDS locked:

Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
What is so hard (or dangerous) about just altering the status of the EXC to SHR and then running the same code as the DEQ (after first checking if the second entry is a SHR request [if it is an EXC do not run the code])?

Agreed. This is a long-standing complaint. It's doable, but not yet done for some reason. Perhaps there is no formal requirement?

I would think that the ability to release convert an EXC ENQ (due to a DISP=OLD) into a SHR ENQ (due to all the references to the DSN in subsequent steps being DISP=SHR) would be enough of a formal requirement. I know that that capability has been requested for a long time also. It is a pain you-know-where that the EXC ENQ is propagated to the last step using the dataset when there is no VALID need (beyond the refusal of IBM to fix this design flaw/bug) to not respect the DISP=SHR request. The fact that the SYSDSN ENQ is not compatible with a shared DASD environment (a design flaw that ISPF fixes with its ENQ requests by adding the VOLSER to the DSN in its RNAME Parm) due to the no longer valid assumption that there is only one instance of a DSN per computer.