On 8/2/2010 1:59 PM, Bill Fairchild wrote:
The RECFM=U would only byte you if you tried to move that kind of data set to a
smaller track size.  A bigger track size would work, but then you would be
wasting space, and DASDs were a lot more expensive then than now.

I think SAS data sets were also unmovable for the first couple of decades.

IIRC when we moved from 3330's (track size 13030) to 3350's (track
size 19069) SAS data sets copied with FDR or IEBGENER could not be
processed by SAS, and had to be recopied with a SAS utility.

SAS expected the BLKSIZE of the data set to match the size it
expected for the device type. If it didn't match SAS would not
process it as a SAS data set. I think I even tried changing the
BLKSIZE in the VTOC, but then SAS complained about wrong size
records when it read the data. It's been a long time, so perhaps
I don't remember this correctly.

It's much better now, I don't know of any non-system datasets
that can't be easily moved on our system (assuming you can stop
whatever is using them), except maybe for ADABAS. I don't know
enough about ADABAS to know if they have any device dependency,
but we always use ADABAS utilities for these anyway.

--
Richard