>From the ISPF command line, type RETP <enter>
This brings up a panel that allows selecting previous commands (like retrieve n
times).  It also has an Options menu at the top.  That menu looks like this:
1. Set minimum number of characters saved in retrieve stack
2. Select cursor position for retrieve
3. Exit
You can set the minimum number of characters for retrieve using the 1st
option.

Note:  I tie RETP to PF24 - it is very useful for issuing the same sequence of
commands (possible slightly altered) multiple times.