All of our consoles are SMCS consoles accessed via telnet (SSL).
They all require logon.  When we had physical consoles cabled to a controller
we did not require logon.

Our management decided that the operators should work in the new
datacenter (before we had any production equipment there).  This did have
the desirable side effect that we learned that there was no longer any reason
for the operators to be physically near the machine room (printing has been
moved to the financial center, tapes are all virtual, ...).