On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:01:39 +1000, ibm-main <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> There is absolutely nothing wrong, incorrect, improper, or unexpected
>about
>> any system space (GRS) using as much memory above 2G as it wants,
provided
>> that it has documented that use so that customers can properly plan.
Note
>> that I am differentiating GRS from DB2 in this regard.
>
>Hey Scott, are you ears burning mate   ????   ....   ;-)

Not particularly...

GRS' use of above the bar storage is closely managed and is, intentionally,
not left to the user to manage.  GRS gets its memory objects at system
initialization time and NEVER gets any more.  If these memory objects
cannot be obtained, the system will not come up.

The above the bar storage is mostly guard area to surround 2GB ranges that
map to areas used for extensions to GRS control blocks, required to enable
the system support to the greater number of concurrent ENQs that MIP LPARs
request at z/OS 1.6 and up.  See
http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_Bos
ton/s2884SFa.pdf (watch the wrap) see charts 57-63.

Any frame in these above the bar areas that is not populated is released
from GRS' working set, minimizing the impact to the system.  If you have
few outstanding ENQs, the amount of data 'up there' is minimal.

An alternative to this approach would have been to use dataspaces in the
same way.  Would there have been the same hue and cry if we had added 4
additional dataspaces, rather than 8GB (usable) of 64-bit memory objects?

Scott Fagen
z/OS Core Technology Design
IBM Poughkeepsie