Um, don't the descendants of the 8086 -- you know, those pesky PCs -- have a
stack implemented in hardware?

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:00 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Assembler Entry and Exit module

In <002d01cb42cf$384d88e0$a8e89a...@org>, on 08/23/2010
   at 10:26 AM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> said:

>Not sure that I understand the question but perhaps the answer is
>that unlike machines you may have used in the past, "standard" OS
>architecture and linkage does not use a stack,

It's unlikely that he has worked on a stack machine; AFAIK, the only
ones still on the market are the Unisys boxen descended from the
B6500. He may have encountered conventions for using a particular
register as a stack pointer, but that is just another arbitrary
software convention of the type he was asking about.