David,

I believe that the 2:1 ratio can be pretty well dead and buried, especially
with enhancements like Hyperdispatch.

There were two affects as I recall. One was that the excess number of LP
increased CPU time through increased HSB miss, and that low weight LPARs
with way too many engines would steal capacity because of the LP timeslice.

Back in CMOS days I found that the 2:1 rule was almost always beneficial,
but nowadays on a z9-408 we run in excess of 10-15 LPARS with at least 2xLP
each sharing 4 or 6 PP and there is no noticeable problem. We run test loads
from time to time moving some LPARS between shared and dedicated PP so I
expect a significant difference would have been noticed.

Of course YMMV, especially if you are running extreme ratios (e.g. a
z196-715 with ten LPARs of 15xLP each).

Ron

Behalf Of