Hal,

I don't this is a hard and fast rule to go by, especially as response time
can vary for many reasons that have nothing to do with the storage.
Personally I feel that throughput is equally as important. Response time can
increase 200-300% as throughput increases and it will have no discernable
effect on your application as long as throughput is maintained.

Because cache hits and misses for reads make for extreme differences in
response time that are not reflected in any RMF number. You can be getting
<1ms response time and be blissfully unaware that you have a sibling pend
problem for 5% of your IO.

If response time is your only metric then I'd suggest looking for ways to
report response time in a far more granular manner. Use the Type 42 subtype
6 records, consider distributing disconnect time to the cache misses and
remote copy writes only, or start using the internal response time and usage
data that all the DASD vendors provide.

When you have a 1000 disk drives and 2000 volumes doing 400K IOPS from 4
LPARS to a USP-V, Response time from RMF alone can prove to be somewhat
inadequate.

Ron

Behalf Of