From: Mark Jacobs [mark.jac...@custserv.com]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 3:12 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: H/w vs S/W Encryption?

On 08/30/10 15:04, O'Brien, David W. (NIH/CIT) [C] wrote:
> Management has asked for feedback from the this group.
>
> We are considering hardware encryption using STK 9840D drives vs Software
> encryption using most probably IBM Encryption Facility or CA Tape Encrypt.
>
> Can anyone with experience using any of the above products comment on that
> experience?
>
> There has been a bit of discussion concerning the CPU overhead of using S/W
> based encryption. Can anyone comment whether or not it is truly a concern?
>
> Please only those folks with actual experience should respond.
>
> Thank You,
> Dave O'Brien
> NIH Contractor

Several years ago we tried IBM's Encryption facility to encrypt full
volume DFDSS volumes and we had problems with both CPU and elapsed times
during our tests.

We wound up using IBM's 3592 encrypting tape drives and have been very
happy with them.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

"If you board the wrong train, it's no use running along the
corridor in the other direction,"

Dietrich Bonhoeffer.
World War II German resistance fighter