On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 23:38:37 -0700, Ed Gould wrote:

>http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/358024/time_waits_no_one_leap_seconds_may_cut/

Which says:

   In the revised ITU plan, the divergence between UTC and UT will
   be allowed to grow over the next few hundred years, and could
   be reconciled by a single leap hour at some point.

We have recognized the problem and squarely turned our backs to it.
z/OS now idles user tasks down for a second at positive leap
seconds.  Is this an impact?  I'm sure an hour would be
unacceptable.

z/OS has a half-hearted approach to leap seconds in idling user
tasks.  They implemented leap seconds but simply didn't have
the courage to allow the TIME functions to return times such as
23:59:60 as specifed by the definition of UTC.

UT1 is smoother than UTC; corrections from UTC to UT1 are issued
daily with a granularity of 0.1 second.  I'd propose an even
smoother approximation, a chordwise version of UT1, with
parameters published sufficiently in advance to support
conversion of smoothed UT1<-->TAI for those rare cases where
TAI is required.  Of course, the mapping is undefined for
more than a few months in the future.

UNIX is worse than MVS.  POSIX effectively prohibits any
recognition of leap seconds in common time manipulation
functions.  NTP has a bizarre but probably satisfactory
accomodation to leap seconds in shifting the epoch origin
forward whenever a leap second is inserted.

 and cites:

   For instance, NTP itself can accommodate leap seconds by use of
   a parsable file of leap seconds that can be downloaded from the
   National Institute of Standards and Technology.

Our site jumped aboard leap seconds when we got a Sysplex Timer.
We abandoned them a year or two later beause of incompatibilities
with ISV software.  The problem was not with the disruption every
year or two, but because vendor products were inconsistent in
employing the correction in CVTLSO.  Here I blame not the design
of leap seconds, but vendor carelessness in their adaptation.

Somewhere I saw a quotation to the effect that "It is unreasonable
to expect that a time specified as a number of seconds since the
epoch should reflect the actual number of seconds since that epoch."
I've lost the source.  I'd be delighted to recover it.

-- gil