I'm trying to read a RECFM=U partitioned dataset but keep getting a IEC020I
001-1 message and a S001 abend. The program works for FIXED and VARIABLE
records, I wanted to add support for UNDEFINED records. According to the
documentation a possible cause is:

RECFM=U was specified on the DCB macro instruction, but no logical
record length was specified.

Setting DCBLRECL to the blocksize from DCBBLKSI before executing the READ
command doesn't help. What am I doing wrong? Here are a few relevant parts from
the program:

The DCB, DCBE and READ declaration:

                  DCBD  DSORG=(PO)
DCBE              DS    CL56
*
                  READ  DECB,SF,,,'S',,,,MF=L

The DCB and DCBE are copied from a 'Model' specification that is defined like
this:

         DCB   DCBE=0,
               DDNAME=DUMMY,
               DSORG=PO,
               MACRF=(R,W)
*
         DCBE  EODAD=0,
               RMODE31=BUFF

The OPEN:

           MVC   OPEN,=X'80000000'     !! Bug in OPEN macro !!
           OPEN  ((9),INPUT),                                          +
               MODE=31,                                                +
               MF=(E,OPEN)

And the READ (R2 points to a buffer, R9 to the DCB):

             READ  DECB,SF,(9),(2),'S',,,,MF=E
             CHECK DECB

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fred!

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.