In <02c201cb4d3f$546191f0$fd24b5...@net>, on 09/05/2010
   at 04:14 PM, "William H. Blair" <wmhbl...@comcast.net> said:

>What have you heard or what do you know about that story?

I read it, but can't remember the issue. That was back when the S/360
was new and the author didn't quite understand the reason for the
coinage byte, or at least was pretending not to. I suspect that it was
around September 1967.

For those who are not familiar with it, Datamation used to have some
excruciatingly funny articles, some of which were collected under the
title "Faith, Hope and Parity". I didn't think much of their news
coverage, but the humor was priceless.