WalterR wrote:
Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
In <1792f2.291be9b9.39b92...@aol.com>, on 09/08/2010
   at 01:30 PM, Ed Finnell <efinnel...@aol.com> said:

Huh? HASP was the efforts of NASA Houston  and came out as Half ASP.

Do you have a citation for that? I never saw the term before I
suggested "HASP is Half ASP" for a project button.
I worked as an operator at the the L.A. Scientific Center in Westwood (data center on the U.C.L.A campus) when DCS was initially developed on a 7094 with a 7040 as the support processor (before that they tried a 1410). Art Walters was one of the leads. I recall the term "Half ASP" used a couple of times somewhat sarcastically. I also recall that HASP was already known as a product (Type III?) out of Houston. This was around 1965.

Walter Rue

On second thought, I realized a mistake in my "Half ASP" recollection. It was a phonetic mistake, perhaps due to age. What I actually heard was "Half-vast..." preceded by "Vast Concept", which while cute was somewhat beyond sarcastic.

Apologies!

Walter Rue
.