Actually, I don't know how you can prevent giving up the processor unless you mask off all interrupts and maintain a dispatching priority of 255 and even that would probably only work n a uni-processor LPAR.

Even the hard loop in the example doesn't prevent preemption by higher priority work units, given that interrupts are allowed on one or more CPUs in the LPAR.

There was once a "system must complete" state that might have been able to do this, but I'm not sure it is supported any more. I seem to recall that even that status only guaranteed that an interrupted work unit would regain control after the interrupt was fielded, so interrupt processing still prevents the task from constantly using the CPU.

Why would you want to do this and defeat the function of the operating system?

Mike Myers
Mentor Services Corp.