On 9/14/2010 8:26 AM, McKown, John wrote:
Sure. Why not. I use them for 64 bit numbers where I used to use a register
pair. Can OS/390 run on z hardware? I don't remember anymore. But use of Grande
registers in application code cannot be stopped by the OS. Of course, if you
call other routines, you'd better store them yourself. Because somebody else
might be doing the same.

OS/390 V2R10 was the first release to support machines with z/Architecture. All prior releases will run only in ESA/390 mode. In that mode, the high halves don't exist.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc